Monday, August 31, 2009

Food

So I think about food so much more now that I'm so limited in what I can comfortably/safely eat. Sometimes that's bad because it's all I think about,and other times it's great because I can stare at a cookbook or refrigerator for hours before making something that is not only tasty (well,most of the time) but it doesn't make me sick! Wonderfully enough, going gluten free has forced me to find new foods and eat pretty much everything that's safe. So this means I'm trying new grains, new spices & meat! As a lifelong vegetarian I'm having a harder time getting used to the texture of meat, then to the texture of glutenless grains. But it's been a blast so far!

I've never had quinoa before but I've recently discovered that it's amazing! If you've never tried it, you should. It's a bit like a combination of brown rice & couscous, but better. I like the red quinoa the best...it's hearty and nutty and tastes good with just about everything. I've mostly been mixing in tomato sauce & cheese plus whatever veggies we have around at the time.


I've also found this great little bakery in Portland called the New Cascadia Traditional Bakery. It's a godsend. It's entirely gluten free. They have wonderful breads, pastries and pizza dough. It's so nice to be able to go somewhere and buy whatever I want and not have to worry. One of the biggest issues with food now is that I need to bring lunch/snacks with me all the time. If I forget to bring lunch to work I'm SOL because there isn't really anywhere I can get food.

I've bought a crock pot and I'm in love with my rice cooker, so new explorations in food are definitely going to happen. I'd love any and all recipe suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. You know I am your fan and support in this strange new world.
    Love,
    YOM/MIL

    ReplyDelete